It’s a strange thought to think that up until a few years ago the hash (#) symbol was used for something else than creating social trends.
#FF or Follow Friday has been classed as the most tweeted hashtag tradition. Honestly, I haven’t seen it come up frequently for quite a few years now. It was huge when Twitter started to become mainstream back in 2009/2010, but personally I haven’t seen it as much as I used to.
#MondayMotivation is one that I see trending every single Monday without fail, and I do love to get IMA involved in that by Tweeting a nice motivational quote to get everyone through the horrible thought of a Monday morning. I think it show that social media communities can also be really caring and nice and not horrible and trolling people. Shows that there are nice people still left in the world!
#WednesdayWisdom – This is one that I only see every so often, but I think it’s a good idea, similarly to Monday Motivation.
#TBT or Throwback Thursday – I love a good #TBT post. Timehop is my all-time fave app at the moment for social media because I love laughing at my cringy Facebook posts from back in 2008. It’s a great one for businesses I think though, because as well as showing what you’re doing currently, I always think it’s nice to show what you have done in the past and how far the company has come in that time.
Flashback Friday is really similar to TBT but not used as much. Again, a great one to show off some old pics or work.
#FridayFeeling – I also love me some #FridayFeeling too. I think it’s a great one to start a conversation and make your brand look like it’s run by real people, which I understand can be difficult sometimes for businesses on social media whilst trying to remain a professional persona.
I also took a look at some of the most popular Instagram hashtags…
- #doubletap (cheeky way of getting more likes on your post!)
- #beauty – beauty has such a huge presence on Instagram with quick videos and images of makeup to give people inspiration. No wonder it’s one of the most popular hashtags!
- #instafood – food has also made a huge presence on Instagram, with an accompanying popular # being #foodporn. I have to say the food I see on social media is possibly one of my favourite things, mainly because people make the most amazing looking things!
- #follow4follow and #followback haveto be two of the most annoying and spam hashtags people use. But it works. Yes, your followers may not be of any interest, but lets be honest, people that are using this hashtag just want to compete with others to get the most followers they can. #SorryNotSorry
- #instafashion and #ootd have meant that fashion bloggers have become extremely popular to alongside beauty. Plus Instagram is the perfect way of a brand showing off their new clothes, and what better way than photographing it or getting fans to send in their photos!
What hashtags do you see around a lot? Or are there any that you use a lot in particular?